EPA CAN DO
In the summer of 1989, a group of individuals met to contemplate the creation of a community development organization. The group consisted of Cliff Boxley, Trevor Burrows, Robert Jones, Dyanne Ladine, Beth Leder-Pack, Jane Leech, Barbara Mouton, Acanio Piomelli, Majoriel Wallace and William Webster.
The outcome was the formation of a membership-based Community Development Corporation (CDC) in August 1991. East Palo Alto Community Alliance and Neighborhood Development Organization (EPA CAN DO) was incorporated as a 501(c) 3 nonprofit organization.
Community Development Corporations (CDC’s) are usually neighborhood based, consisting of local residents, representatives of other community groups, non-profits and businesses. CDC’s are usually not for profit organizations that can address affordable housing development and other issues depending on particular neighborhood needs.
EPA CAN DO’s primary objectives and purposes were, and still remain, the same as they have been over the last 14 years.
- EPA CAN DO incorporation, August 24, 1991
- Since 2002, conducted six Town Hall meetings to discuss housing issues.
- Sponsored Home Buyer’s Fairs.
- Developed 336 affordable housing units year-to-date.
- Assisted the City of East Palo Alto in implementing its Below Market Rate Housing (Central Wait List) program by placing 40 below market rate units.
- Launched the Anti-Predatory Lending Program to assist victims of predatory lending.
- Initiated development of a Housing Coalition to advocate affordable housing in East Palo Alto.
- After 10 years developed Nugent Square, 32 affordable housing units.
- Established a Farmers' Market.
- Established a Local Business Directory.
- From 2000 to present, sponsored home buyer and credit/budget financial literacy workshops which has helped over 3,200 people
Announcements and Events
EPA CAN DO Programs Committee Meeting
Location: EPA CAN DO, Nugent Square Apts, 2369 University
Date and Time: Thu, Oct 8, 2009 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
----- Forwarded Message ----
From: William Byron Webster <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Programs Committee meeting on Thursday, 8 October 2009
The regular monthly meeting of the EPA CAN DO Programs Committee will take place this Thursday, 8 October 2009, at 7:00 p.m.
The items on the agenda follow:
•Discussion of the Jane Leech Memorial Fund Advisory Committee meeting scheduled for Monday, 26 October, and its future role
•Discussion of the future of the Programs Committee
Our meetings take place in the offices of EPA CAN DO located at Nugent Square Apartments on the second floor at 2369 University Avenue. The gate on the University Avenue side of the property has a phone to call the office to admit meeting attendees.
If there are issues in the area of housing that we need to address, please email me with your concerns. We exist to support the housing needs of the community.
We look forward to your participation in our deliberations.
William Byron Webster
EPA CAN DO Programs Committee